Friday, August 18, 2017
Friday, May 12, 2017
Our year is coming to a close very quickly! We have only 9 days of school left (after today, of course). Here's what we'll be up to:
- Math: honing our money counting and money organizing abilities.
- Writing: finishing a unit about poetry, along with other writing activities, such as writing about our second grade memories.
- Reading: building our reading and writing stamina to encourage reading over the summer!
- Community building: celebrating the last 9 days of school with class-wide privileges! We started counting down the days until summer this week, with a different privilege each day (hidden in a balloon). We'll continue this the last 9 days.
Upcoming events include:
- Second Grade's Writing Celebration: Friday May 19th, 1:45-2:30 pm in our second grade classrooms.
- The LAST day of school: Thursday, May 25th. We will dismiss at 12:45 pm.
Thursday, April 27, 2017
Our last field trip for your child's second grade school year is coming up quickly!
Second grade will be traveling to the Runge Nature Center and Central Dairy
in Jefferson City, Missouri on Friday, May 5th!
- Second Grade is requesting that you send your child to school in his/her tie-dyed t-shirt that day! At the busy Science Center, the t-shirts made it much easier to identify Beulah Ralph students quickly.
- We will leave Beulah Ralph at 8:30 pm and return at 2:30 pm.
- Students may leave their electronic devices at home for this trip. It will be a much shorter bus ride to the Runge Nature Center.
- Per school policy, we are not allowing students to ride with their parents up to the Runge Nature Center. If a child does not ride the bus, they will be unable to attend the trip with us. Please send your child on the bus to the Runge Nature Center and they may ride back with you if you so choose.
Homework: This week of April 24-28 is the LAST WEEK that we will have reading homework, or homework that you have requested! We will soon be counting down to the end of the year!
Friday, April 21, 2017
Service Learning: Year One!
Our Service Learning Project for the 2016-2017 school year was a HUGE success! Between second grade's math-a-thon and Silent Auction lunch, we were able to raise $6,682.48! We will be donating this money to Little Footprints, Big Steps for Hurricane Matthew disaster relief and to benefit 4 children that need medical and educational help.
THANK YOU for all of your basket donations for our silent auction, THANK YOU for all of your pledges for our students' math-a-thon, and THANK YOU for all of your help in making the whole event run smoothly! We definitely could not have been as successful without all of your help!
You can see highlights of the whole project through this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBbC9nrMcpE&feature=em-upload_owner
Last week our Partners in Education, Great Southern Bank, visited our classroom to teach us about saving money! We already had a lot of knowledge about where to keep our money safely, but it was fun to review it with the bankers!
In Math, we just finished a unit on measurement! We've measured various objects around our room using different units including inches, centimeters, yards, meters, and feet. As a final project, we drew pictures of bunnies (just in time for Easter) and measured the body parts of our bunnies.
We took our final writing test for the year! We read three Robert Munsch books, Purple Green and Yellow, 50 Below Zero, and Stephanie's Ponytail and then wrote our opinions about which book was the best. Students also used reasons and specific examples to support their opinions.
We will be taking our end-of-the-year reading tests starting in May! I am still reading with students in small groups every day based on different reading needs. As a whole class, we read Dear Mr. Blueberry this week and discussed different ways to get involved in a story. Soon, we'll start talking about themes in different books.
Next Week (April 24-28) our class will be collecting items for our classroom's raffle basket for Flash's Top Circus. Flash's Top Circus is our PTA's spring fundraising event. The money will be used to fund classroom supplies, field trips, and much more for the 2017-2018 school year. Please consider sending items for our basket that match the theme Family Fitness.
Flash's Top Circus will be Saturday, April 29th from 5-8 pm at Beulah Ralph. Please stop by with your child! There will be lots of games, food, and prizes.
Monday, April 17, 2017
April 11th was our Math-a-thon for Hurricane Matthew! We are excited to be raising money for Little Footprints, Big Steps, an organization that is helping rebuild Haiti after Hurricane Matthew.
Thank you to each parent that has pledged to donate money for each problem that your child has completed correctly on his/her Math-a-thon test! So far, we have raised nearly $100 as a class and I can't wait to see that number grow! If you are unsure how much money you owe from the Math-a-thon, please contact me.
On April 19th, we will be having a brown bag lunch and a math ceremony.
Family and friends are welcome to join our students in the gym for a picnic lunch. You can bring folding chairs and blankets to sit on. It will be open at 11:30 am and the students will join us at about 11:50 am. There will be various baskets to bid on at this time. The money earned for each basket will also go to Little Footprints, Big Steps.
Lunch will end at 12:20 pm and we will begin our math ceremony. This will be a time to celebrate our mathematicians and discuss our service learning project with you. We will also announce the winners of each goody basket!
Hope to see you there!
Thursday, March 23, 2017
There are a lot of events coming up in April for Second Grade! I know it's been a little overwhelming with all the papers being sent home with your child, so let me outline what's coming up.
Monday, March 27th through Friday, March 31st is SPRING BREAK!
Wednesday, April 5th Team Considine and Team Lister will be taking a field trip to Daniel Boone Public Library in the afternoon.
Friday, April 7th Second Grade is taking a field trip to the St. Louis Science Center.
- Your child is welcome to bring an electronic device (not a cell phone) for the bus ride, but your child will be responsible for carrying and keeping track of it throughout the trip.
- Second Grade also wants to tie-dye t-shirts for students to wear on this trip. PLEASE send a white t-shirt to school BEFORE the trip so we can make them in advance.
- Per school policy, we are not allowing students to ride with their parents up to the Science Center. If a child does not ride the bus, they will be unable to attend the trip with us. Please send your child on the bus to the Science Center and they may ride back with you if you so choose.
Tuesday, April 11th our class will have our Math-a-thon during our math time.
Wednesday, April 19th Second Grade is having a brown bag lunch in the gym! You may bring folding chairs and blankets. Following the lunch, we will have our math-a-thon ceremony. You will be able to see student work and bid on baskets of items in a silent auction, to help our efforts in raising money for the people in Haiti affected by Hurricane Matthew.
IF YOU STILL NEED TO SIGN A PERMISSION SLIP FOR YOUR CHILD TO ATTEND A FIELD TRIP, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP. These events are approaching quickly!
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
There are less than three full weeks of school until our next break and we are just as busy as ever!
Tuesday, March 14th (next Tuesday) our class is visiting the Planetarium at Rock Bridge High School. Please send your child's permission slip back to school signed, so he/she can attend. Also, let me know if you need a new permission slip!
Tuesday, March 14th is BEU's first annual math night! Come enjoy different math games in each grade level and pie in the cafeteria. It will be going on from 6 to 7:30 pm.
Spring Break is from March 27th through March 31st! School will resume on Monday, April 3rd.
Math: We finished a unit about place value to 1,000 and are now working on adding and subtracting 3-digit numbers. We will continue working on that until Spring Break! We have added timed math practice to the end of our math time in order to prepare for our math-a-thon in April.
Reading: As a class, we are learning to take notes on books in different genres. In reading groups, we are almost ready to move up levels! Everyone has been working so hard.
Writing: We have started opinion writing. So far, we have discussed the differences between facts and opinions, stating our opinions, and giving reasons for our opinions.
Thank you to everyone that attended Second Grade's music program on February 23rd! It was a blast to see the students show off their hard work in music.